Objective: Correct the signs of facial aging.
Anaesthesia: Local with sedation or general
Procedure duration: 1.5 to 5 hours
Pain level: 4/10
Recovery time: 10 to 15 days
Resumption of physical activities: 4 weeks
As you age, the appearance and shape of your face changes. Skin loses its elasticity, sags, and fat deposits are distributed differently, leading to visible signs of aging. A facelift may correct the following age-related changes:
– Sagging cheeks;
– Excess skin and fat below the jaw line (jowls).
– Deepening of the fold from the corner of the nose to the corner of the mouth;
– Excess skin and fat on the neck (corrected by a neck lift).
The facelift does not correct superficial wrinkles, pigment spots or other sun-related skin damage. CO2 or IPL laser treatments, botulinum toxin injections or dermal fillers, or blepharoplasty are complementary treatments to optimize the aesthetic results of a facelift.
To properly prepare for the consultation, compile all your relevant medical and health information (list of medications, doctors’ reports, history of previous surgeries, etc.). Cosmetic surgery should only be performed on people in good health (with no chronic diseases or health issues). If you suffer from chronic hypertension, attention will be paid to regulating your blood pressure.
During the consultation, Dr. Boudana will be very attentive to your expectations. The choice of technique will depend on many factors: skin quality, quantity of excess skin, muscle relaxation, and modifications of facial fat distribution.
However, your expectations and the desired result are the most important factor in choosing the right treatment. But not all goals are realistic, and it is important to understand what surgery can and cannot accomplish. If applicable, Dr. Boudana can suggest complementary procedures such as blepharoplasty, a neck lift, laser resurfacing treatments, and so on.
What surgical techniques are used?
Dr. Boudana is trained in different facelift techniques:
– The subcutaneous lift is a simple skin lift that removes excess skin and tightens it. Today, this technique is seldom used as the results are generally not satisfactory in the long term.
– The biplane facelift: this treatment involves tightening facial muscles (called SMAS) with tensionless skin lifting. In most cases, the biplane facelift is the technique of choice for more stable, long-term results. Several surgical variants of the biplane lift exist using the SMAS tightening method: the MACS lift, the SMAS plication, the “high SMAS”, the vertical lift, the SMASectomy, and more.
The type of facelift that is right for you depends on your anatomy and your expectations. Dr. Boudana will provide you with precise information on the benefits and risks of the different surgical techniques so you can choose the one that best suits your needs.
What does a facelift correct?
A facelift can improve:
– The nasolabial fold (indentation lines on either side of the check that extend from the edge of the nose to the mouth’s outer corners, which tend to deepen with age);
– The jowls;
– The definition of the mandibular angle (jaw line);
A facelift will not improve certain deep wrinkles such as the wrinkles around the mouth, for example.
A facelift incision starts at the temple close to the hairline, continues down and around the front of the ears and ends behind the ears. The scar may extend into the hairline depending on the technique and the patient’s anatomy.
Incisions are made in the natural folds, in the hair or at the hairline, so the scars are as discreet as possible.
You must have a companion present to take you home after surgery. They should also be there to help and monitor you for the first 24 hours following surgery. We also recommend having help with daily tasks for the first week.
Swelling is normal in the first few days and will gradually go down in the following months.
After the surgery, you will receive a personalized follow-up. Our specialized nurses will also be available and will perform the dressing changes after surgery. All our follow-up appointments are free of charge for the first year after your surgery.
Why choose Dr. Boudana for your surgery?
An experience plastic surgeon, Dr. Boudana is trained in the most effective and safe lifting techniques. With a degree in head and neck anatomy, he has in-depth knowledge of face and neck structures, which he carefully modifies to obtain the patient’s desired results.
The procedure is performed in a private, accredited operating room and our follow-ups are offered in a luxurious and comfortable setting in our office with our highly qualified staff.
Get a consultation
The consultation can take place in person at the clinic or remotely by videoconference.