Objective: Correct the signs of aging in the neck.
Anaesthesia: Local with sedation or general
Procedure duration: 1.5 to 3 hours
Pain level: 4/10
Recovery time: 10 to 15 days
Resumption of physical activities: 4 weeks
As you age, the skin in the neck loses its natural elasticity and begins to sag. Neck muscles relax and fat often accumulates in the area.
As such, the neck may appear less attractive and youthful, and platysmal bands (the bands of excess skin that stretch from the jawline to the bottom of the neck) can become more pronounced, causing what is known as “turkey wattle neck.”
To properly prepare for the consultation, compile all your relevant medical and health information (list of medications, doctors’ reports, history of previous surgeries, etc.). Cosmetic surgery should only be performed on people in good health (with no chronic diseases or health issues). If you suffer from chronic hypertension, attention will be paid to regulating your blood pressure.
During the consultation, Dr. Boudana will be very attentive to your expectations. The choice of technique will depend on many factors: skin quality, quantity of excess skin, muscle relaxation, and the presence of excess fat in the neck area.
However, your expectations and the desired result are the most important factor in choosing the right treatment. But not all goals are realistic, and it is important to understand what surgery can and cannot accomplish. If applicable, Dr. Boudana can suggest complementary procedures such as blepharoplasty, or a facelift, or can recommend nonsurgical treatments such as CoolSculpting® or botulinum toxin injections.
What surgical techniques are used?
Dr. Boudana is trained in different cervical lifting techniques:
– The subcutaneous lift is a simple skin lift that removes excess skin and tightens it. Today, this technique is seldom used as the results are generally not satisfactory in the long term.
– Under the chin lifting (corset platysmaplasty) is a technique where the surgeon makes a small incision under the chin and tightens the platysma muscle, which can cause neck bands. This procedure can be combined with neck liposuction.
– The cervical lift by preauricular incision involves removing the skin and tightening the platysma muscle laterally. This procedure is often performed at the same time as a facelift. The most recent techniques include a cross section of the muscle and its lateral repositioning. The results of this procedure are impressive, especially in patients who suffer from significant muscle relaxation.
The type of neck lift that is right for you depends on your anatomy and your expectations. Dr. Boudana will provide you with precise information on the benefits and risks of the different surgical techniques so you can choose the one that best suits your needs.
What can a neck lift correct?
A neck lift can:
– Correct loose sagging skin around the neck;
– Remove excess neck fat;
– Redefine the jawline and the angle between the neck and the chin;
– Improve unsightly muscle bands in the neck.
Neck lift incisions can be made under the chin (just below the fold) or at the temple close to the hairline, continuing down and around the front of the ears and ending behind the ears. The incisions are made in the natural folds of the skin so that scars will be as discreet as possible.
You must have a companion present to take you home after surgery. They should also be there to help and monitor you for the first 24 hours following surgery. We also recommend having help with daily tasks for the first week.
Swelling is normal in the first few days and will gradually go down in the following months.
After the surgery, you will receive a personalized follow-up. Our specialized nurses will also be available and will perform the dressing changes after surgery. All our follow-up appointments are free of charge for the first year after your surgery.
Why choose Dr. Boudana for your surgery?
An experience plastic surgeon, Dr. Boudana is trained in the most effective and safe lifting techniques. With a degree in head and neck anatomy, he has in-depth knowledge of face and neck structures, which he carefully modifies to obtain the patient’s desired results.
The procedure is performed in a private, accredited operating room.
Get a consultation
The consultation can take place in person at the clinic or remotely by videoconference.