Objective: To remove excess skin and fat from the lower eyelids, correct under eye bags, and treat dark circles.
Anaesthesia: Local / general
Procedure duration: 45 minutes to 1.5 hours
Pain level: 3/10
Recovery time: 1 to 2 weeks
Resumption of physical activities: 2 weeks
As you age, it is common for excess skin and fat to gather on the lower eyelids, creating bags under the eyes. A sensation of heaviness and fatigue are often experienced at the end of the day.
Excess skin on the lower eyelids can also make you appear tired and older.
Lower blepharoplasty is an effective and painless surgery.
Performed under local or general anaesthesia, the recovery time is minimal and the results can be spectacular.
What are the surgical techniques?
There are several surgical techniques used to improve the appearance of the lower eyelids and correct the bags under the eyes. Dr. Boudana can perform any of these surgical techniques. During the consultation, he will discuss which one is best suited to your anatomy and expectations.
Trans-conjunctival blepharoplasty consists in removing the pockets of fat on the lower eyelids through an incision at the level of the conjunctiva, therefore avoiding an external incision through the skin and leaving no obvious scar. This is a very effective procedure, but only a slight tightening of the skin of the lower eyelid is possible with this approach. As such, it is often combined with other non-invasive treatments such as CO2 laser resurfacing or radio frequency treatments, which can improve eyelid skin.
The subciliary approach requires a 2-mm incision below the lash line to remove extra skin, and to tighten and lift the skin and the muscle. The incision is made parallel to the edge of the lower lid leaving a very discreet scar.
This is an effective way to rejuvenate the lower eyelids, and remove excess fat and skin. At times, the procedure must be combined with canthopexy (eyelid tightening).
Certain surgical or non-invasive procedures can be combined with lower blepharoplasty to optimize the results. These procedures include:
– Canthopexy: this is a surgical procedure that suspends and tightens the lower eyelids to fight the effects of aging.
– CO2 laser skin resurfacing: this procedure improves skin texture, treats minor facial flaws on the lower lids, reduces fine lines around the eyes and moderately tightens the skin.
– Injection of autologous fat: this procedure consists of removing fat by liposuction from an area of your choice (stomach, thighs, etc.) and reinjecting it into certain parts of the eyelids such as the tear trough (dark circles), or where the cheek and the lower eyelid meet, to refine results and soften the transition between the eyelid and the cheek.
– Fillers: similar to autologous fat injections, fillers make it possible to refine results and effectively treat pronounced dark circles.
– Botulinum toxin injection (Botox, Dysport, Jeuveau): botulinum toxin injections can erase or reduce crow’s feet and wrinkles.
Where is the surgery performed?
Dr. Boudana only operates on patients in private state-of-the-art operating rooms accredited by Accreditation Canada. This accreditation is a guarantee that the facilities meet stringent safety and quality standards.
After surgery, swelling is possible but varies according to the type of blepharoplasty performed and the patient. Pain is limited.
We do not recommend resuming physical activities in the first week, but office work can usually be resumed the day after the surgery.
We advise staying out of the sun and wearing sunglasses.
Dr. Boudana performs more than 100 blepharoplasties per year and will be able to advise, inform and guide you in your cosmetic surgery project.
If sagging eyelids and their appearance bother you, lower eyelid blepharoplasty is an effective, minimally painful corrective procedure with high satisfaction rates and a short recovery period.
Get a consultation
The consultation can take place in person at the clinic or remotely by videoconference.